PORTOMARÍN

Portomarín: The old Portomarín, which rests under waters of the dam of Belesar, was formed by two medieval hamlets: San Pedro, on the left margin of the river, and San Nicolás, on the right one, both connected by a bridge, later destroyed by Doña Urraca, when she fought against Alfonso el Batallador (the battler) and subsequently restored in 1120 by Pedro “Peregrino”, big defender of pilgrims.

Both hamlets had hospitals built by Doña Urraca; the hamlet of San Pedro also had a leper colony, attended by knights of Saint Lazarus, which provided good hospital service to pilgrims.

Portomarin: El viejo Portomarín, hoy sepultado bajo las aguas del embalse de Belesar, lo formaban dos barrios (burgos) medievales: el de San Pedro, en la margen izquierda del río y el de San Nicolás, en la margen derecha, unidos por un puente, que, más tarde, fue destruido por Doña Urraca, cuando se enfrentó a Alfonso el Batallador y posteriormente , en 1120, fue restaurado por Pedro “Peregrino”, gran defensor de los peregrinos.

Contaban ambos barrios con hospitales construidos por orden de Doña Urraca; y el barrio de San pedro, además, contaba con una leprosería  atendida por los Caballeros de San Lázaro, que prestaban un gran servicio hospitalario a los peregrinos.

portomarín
san nicolás
Portomarín antiguo
Iglesia de San Nicolás